Enrolments are accepted from Year 1 to Year 8 students (5 – 13 years of age).
Students whose families have an established religious connection with the Catholic Character of the school, in other words, Catholic themselves, will be given a preferential place on the list of applicants for enrolment. Non-preference, or non-Catholic enrolments, are restricted to five percent of the total roll and are dependent upon vacancies at the time of enrolment.
Recently the New Zealand Catholic Bishops have revised the preference criteria for students wishing to be enrolled in New Zealand Catholic schools.
Children can be enrolled as preference students if:
- The child has been Baptised or is being prepared for Baptism in the Catholic Church.
- The child’s parents/guardians have already allowed one or more of its siblings to be Baptised in the Catholic faith.
- At least one parent/guardian is a Catholic, and although their child has not yet been Baptised, the child’s participation in the life of the school could lead to the parents having the child Baptised.
- With the agreement of the child’s parent/guardian, a grandparent or other significant adult in the child’s life, such as an aunt, uncle or godparent, undertakes to support the child’s formation in the faith and practices of the Catholic Church.
- One or both of a child’s non-Catholic parents/guardians is preparing to become a Catholic.
A Non Preference child is one who does not meet any of the above criteria.
All students being considered for enrolment at St. Teresa’s School must see our Parish Priest who is the sole arbiter of which category a child will fit. He will discuss this with the parent/guardian before any enrolment proceeds.
- Arrange to see the Principal to discuss your child’s needs and to hear what the school has to offer, and have a tour of the school premises. Take the Birth Certificate and Immunisation certificate to the school office where enrolment procedures can be started.
- Attend an information evening with Fr. Antoine, our Parish Priest, Judith our Parish Co-ordinator and Lydia our Director of Religious Studies. If Catholic, please take a copy of your child’s Baptism Certificate to this meeting. The Parish Priest must sign the Preference Form.
- No placement can be held or enrolment confirmed until the school receives the Preference form from the Parish Office.
The following forms are required for all new entrants starting school:
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Copy of Baptismal Certificate
- Preference Certificate (available from the parish priest)
- Enrolment Form
- Copy of Immunisation Certificate
Once all forms have been processed by the school, a letter of introduction will be sent to the child’s family who will be contacted by the New Entrant teacher, approximately four to six weeks prior to the child starting school. An informal introductory meeting will be organised and the child will be invited to begin pre-school visits.
Once all forms have been processed by the school, the new student will begin in the appropriate classroom. The class teacher will provide the new student with a buddy who will help the new student settle into the community and life of St. Teresa’s School.
All new pupils are introduced to the school at assembly and to the wider community through the newsletter.